Step 2 - Building Block Installation
Installing a Building Block
1. Log into Blackboard as an administrator user
2. Click on the System Admin tab in the top right-hand corner of any page.
3. On the System Admin page, click the Building Blocks link in the Building Blocks section
4. Click on the Installed Tools link
5. At the top of the Installed Tools page, click the Global Settings button
6. In the Global Settings screen, set the Custom Database Objects level to at least: Prompt each time a Building Block wants to create custom database objects.
Remember to click Submit to save your settings. Otherwise, click Cancel to go back.
After clicking Submit, a green box, advising you that your Global Settings have successfully updated, will appear at the top of the Installed Tools page.
7. Click the Upload Building Blocks button at the top of the page.
8. Click Browse to locate the Turnitin Building Block on your device.
9. Click Submit to install the Building Block. Otherwise, click Cancel to abort the installation.
10. You may be prompted to approve changes to the database. If so, click the Approve button or click Cancel to go back.
11. By clicking Approve, this will initiate the installation of the plugin. The installation will continue to run in the background even if you choose to leave this page.
12. On the right-hand side of the page, click Return to direct you the Installed Tools page.
11. In order for the Building Block to be configured, you must make the Turnitin Direct Assignment for Blackboard Building Block available from the list of Building Blocks on the Installed Tools page. To do this, hover over the right hand side of the Building Block title and click on the down arrow.
12. This will present a drop down menu. Select Set Available to make this Building Block available.
A green box will appear at the top of the Installed Tools page, confirming that you have made this Building Block 'Available'.
After the Building Block is set to available and has been configured, instructors on the account can begin using the Turnitin assignment type in their courses. Check out the next step to start configuring the plugin.
To enable tools such as course recycle you will also have to navigate to System Admin > Tools and enable the options for Turnitin Direct Course Recycle and Relink.
If the Turnitin Building Block is removed from available status, access to all Turnitin assignments and features for all users of the Building Block on the Blackboard installation will be disabled until the Building Block is returned to Available status.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.