Adjusting assignment settings
Navigating to the assignment settings
In your Learning Management System (LMS), launch the assignment you'd like to update. This will take you directly to the inbox.
If you forgot how to launch an assignment and get to your inbox in your LMS, check out Getting to an assignment inbox.
- In your inbox, click the gear icon on the right side of the header. This will take you to your Assignment Settings page. Your General Settings sections will be open first.
- Now, follow the next sections of this guide for help changing your...
- With the General Settings section open, you will notice that your Assignment Title is grayed out. Don't worry! This is because once you initially create the assignment you can only update the title through the settings in your LMS, not from within the Turnitin LTI tool.
- Make any other adjustments you need to in your General Settings. Here's what these settings mean, in case you're unsure:
- Instructions: These are the guidelines you'd like students to see to help them craft their submissions (2,000 character limit).
- Start Date: This is the calendar date and time you want to allow students to begin working. Students will only be able to submit once the start date and time have passed.
- Due Date: This is the calendar date and time by which students will have to submit their work. Students will not be able to submit anymore once the due date and time have passed.
- Once you’ve updated your General Settings, select the Save Settings button.
Select Similarity Settings from the sidebar. This takes you to the Similarity Settings tab of your assignment settings panel.
Index Submitted Work
This setting is to set whether you want submitted works to be indexed. You may or may not be able to move the toggle and change this setting based on what your administrator has chosen.
If your toggle is movable...
If your toggle is not movable...
You cannot choose or change this setting. Per your administrator, all submissions will be added to the repository or repositories of submitted works that your institution checks for similarity.
Include searched repositories
Select or change the box next to each repository that you would like Turnitin to check for similarity. Turnitin will check submissions made to this assignment against every paper, article, website, etc. in the repositories you select.
Exclude from Similarity Report
Select or change the box next to the parts of a submission that you want Turnitin to ignore as it checks for similarity. Turnitin will skip over these aspects in all submission made to this assignment as it checks for similarity.
If your students have been provided with a template document to follow or list of questions to be included within their submission, these can now be automatically excluded from the Similarity Report using this setting.
Upload the template or select Create Custom Template, copy and paste the text of your template into the field, then select Save Template.
Once a student has made a submission to the assignment, this feature can no longer be edited.
There are some requirements which must be met for a successful template exclusion. They are:
Uploaded file templates must be less than 100 MB. If your file exceeds 100 MB, you can reduce its size by removing any images or save the file as a rich text or plain text file. You could also copy the text from the file and paste it into the Create Custom Template text box.
Accepted file types for upload: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, WordPerfect, PostScript, PDF, HTML, RTF, OpenOffice (ODT), Hangul (HWP), and plain text.
Templates must have at least 20 words of text.
Display similarity score to students
Decide when you'd like students to be able to see their similarity score and access their Similarity Report for this assignment.
Selecting the Immediately option will allow students to access their reports as soon as they are generated.
- Selecting Due Date will only allow students to access their reports after the assignment due date has passed.
- Selecting Never means you will see students' reports, but students will not.
This toggle will allow students to resubmit to the assignment an unlimited amount of times when On. Only the student's most recent submission will be shown within the inbox and previous submissions will be inaccessible. Set this toggle to Off if your students are to only submit once.
Save your changes
When you're happy with the settings you've chosen or changed, select Save Settings.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that.