The ETS e-rater grammar and spelling feedback provides students with suggestions for writing improvement in the following categories: grammar, usage, mechanics, style and spelling. It generates at the same time as the similarity report. To use e-rater for an assignment it must be enabled during assignment creation.
There is a 64,000 encoded character limit for ETS e-rater checking. This total includes spaces and other special characters. It does not relate to a count of number of text characters used. Papers in excess of this limit are not eligible to receive grammar checking.
The e-rater feedback appears on the paper as purple comments.
- To view the e-rater spelling and grammar suggestions, click on any mark.
- To make comments on the suggestions, click on the purple suggestion and add your comment.
- (Optional) Select View Handbook to view more information about the e-rater mark in a new tab.
- While viewing the handbook, you can on the open book icon at the top right to change the level of the handbook's guidance.
- To return to Feedback Studio, close the handbook tab.
- To dismiss the e-rater suggestion pop-up, click on Dismiss
The e-rater side panel
The e-rater side panel displays each of the five e-rater categories and the number of times a suggestion is made in the paper.
- To access the ETS side panel, click the purple ETS icon at the bottom of the product toolbar.
- You can hide a category of marks by unchecking the category in the side panel.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that.