Step 2 - Configuring LTI in Moodle
Configuring LTI in Moodle 3.5, 3.7, and 3.8
Use Moodle 3.9 or above? You can use our LTI 1.3 integration and take advantage of our latest features!
A Moodle environment will only support one integration and account/sub-account. If you need to configure multiple Turnitin sub-accounts, you will have to create a Moodle environment for each one.
Due to the rising number of Moodle themes and user interface updates from version to version, this user guide does not contain any screenshot images. While the workflow remains the same in versions 3.5, 3.7, and 3.8, the user interface may not.
- Log in as a Moodle administrator
- Select Site administration from the left-hand sidebar in Moodle.
- Select Plugins.
- Select Activity modules.
- Select External tool.
- Select Manage tools.
- Within the Add tool box, select configure a tool manually.
- Begin your external tool configuration:
- Enter a name for your external tool (e.g. Turnitin, Turnitin LTI, etc.)
- Enter one of the following URLs as the Tool Base URL/cartridge URL. This URL is based on your location:
https://api.turnitinuk.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment (UK users only)
https://api.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment (All other users)
- Enter your Consumer Key.
This is the five-digit Turnitin Account ID Number included in your Welcome to Turnitin email, and also located to the left of the Account Name in your Turnitin administrator account.
- Enter your Shared Secret.
This is the Shared Key set by the Turnitin administrator and is exactly 8 alphanumerical characters in length.
- From the Tool configuration usage drop-down list, you must select Show as preconfigured tool when adding external tool.
This ensures that your configured external tool is available to yourself and instructors when creating an LTI assignment within a course.
- Select Save changes to complete the configuration.
- The configured Turnitin LTI tool will now appear in your list of tools at the bottom of the Manage tools page. If configured correctly, the tool will appear as 'active'.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.