About Paper Deletions
There are two types of deletions in Turnitin. Removing a paper from the Inbox and requesting a permanent deletion. Both of these deletion types start with your Instructors trying to delete a file.
Requesting a permanent deletion - A request will be sent to the Turnitin Administrator for your institution. You can then review these requests and approve them if you agree the paper should be deleted.
Removing a paper from the inbox - Papers will be removed from view, but not deleted from Turnitin. Papers will still appear in Similarity matches.
We only support self-serve deletion requests for assignments created using Turnitinuk.com, Turnitin.com, or LTI integrations.
Managing deletion requests
Before reviewing the deletion request, it is important to understand what will be removed if you approve the request.
The uploaded file will be deleted and no longer accessible.
Any associated grading will be removed.
The Similarity Report will be deleted and the paper will no longer appear in future similarity matches.
After 30 days have passed, this process can’t be reversed by anyone.
This process will not automatically remove a match from a previously generated similarity report. To remove these matches, Instructors will need to regenerate the report after their request has been approved.
Submitting a paper deletion request via the LTI Inbox
- From the Assignment Inbox, locate the paper you’d like to request a deletion for and click on the three-dots menu under the Options header. From the dropdown that appears, select Request permanent deletion.
- A modal will appear and provide you with additional information about paper deletions. Read through and click Continue.
- Choose a Reason for Deletion from the dropdown at the bottom of the modal. Click on the blue Continue button to proceed.
- Review the details of your request to ensure everything is correct. Then, type “DELETE” into the text area at the bottom to confirm your request. Click on Confirm to submit your request.
- While your request is pending, you will see a trash-can-and-clock icon in the Assignment Inbox beside the Paper ID column of the paper you requested the deletion for.
For more information about paper deletions, see our Paper Deletions FAQ article.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.