If your institution has purchased a product or bundle that includes integrations, LTI will be enabled by default. If you do not currently have integrations as part of your package, then reach out to your account manager and request a quote. If you are not an existing Turnitin customer, you can also request a quote, and mention that you would like LTI activated on your account when signing up.
Information Required to Set up Turnitin LTI
To use the Turnitin LTI 1.1 API, administrators must provide the following items within the LMS LTI configuration screen:
- A URL based on your location:
- https://api.turnitinuk.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment (UK users only)
- https://api.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p0/assignment (All other users)
- Account ID (referred to as the "consumer key")
- This allows an LMS to correctly integrate with a Turnitin account. Account IDs can be found on the left-hand side of the account name on the administrator homepage in Turnitin.
- Shared Key (configured by the Turnitin administrator in the Turnitin LTI integration setup)
- The shared secret key is used to verify the integrity of requests sent from the institution’s LMS account to the institution’s Turnitin account. The shared secret key can be any word or alphanumeric 8-character text string, containing at least one letter and one number. The shared secret key entered in Turnitin must be identical to the shared secret key entered within the LMS. To be clear, both keys must match in order for access to be granted, otherwise, the integration will not work.
- Allow the LMS to send the user email address
- This is required in order to launch the Turnitin Tool and ensures that the LMS and Turnitin users are mapped properly.
The terms used within the LMS can differ from the term used in Turnitin. Use the table below to find the terms used in your LMS. If your LMS is not listed, the documentation for your LMS should be able to help.
|Turnitin Term||Canvas||Moodle||Blackboard||Sakai||Brightspace (D2L)||Schoology|
|URL||Launch URL||Tool Base URL; Cartridge URL||Processor Domain||Remote Tool URL||URL||Domain/URL|
|Account ID||Consumer Key||Consumer Key||Tool Provider Key||Remote Tool Key||AccountID||Consumer Key|
|Shared Key||Shared Secret||Consumer Key||Tool Provider Secret||Remote Tool Secret||SharedKey||Shared Secret|
Configuring Turnitin LTI in a specific LMS
For more details on how to configure an integration for a specific LMS, please refer to the LMS instruction manuals or contact your LMS provider.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.