- Log into Canvas as a teacher.
- From the side of any page within Canvas, select the Courses tab.
Select the course in which you would like to create your assignment.
If the course is not displayed in the My courses list, select All courses, and use the checkboxes to add the course to the list.
- From the left-hand navigation, select Assignments.
- Select the + Assignment button.
- Enter an Assignment name into the box provided and customize the following assignment settings:
• Group assignment
• Peer reviews
• Moderated grading
• Assignment group
• Display grade as
- If you select the Group assignment setting, you will need to fill out further settings.
- Select whether you'd like to Assign grades to each student individually.
- Select the Group set you would like to make this assignment for. If you haven't created a group set yet, or would like to create a new one, select New group category. Learn more about groups.
Using groups will affect your student limit due to groups being seen as new, independent users. It is worth discussing groups and student limits with your account manager before you create them.
- To add the Canvas Plagiarism Framework, change the assignment Submission Type to Online using the drop-down menu.
- Under Online entry options, select the File Uploads checkbox.
If your account has previously had a legacy version of Turnitin enabled, the option to Enable Turnitin submissions will still be visible. Please do not select this option as it will cause a duplicate assignment to be created.
- Select Turnitin from the Plagiarism Review drop-down menu.
- Customize the following Turnitin plagiarism settings:
- (Optional) If you have enabled anonymous grading for you account, you can select this option.
- In the Assign to menu, select the Assign to box to reveal a drop-down menu.
By default, Canvas will set your assignment for everyone in your course.
- To add another section with a different due and availability dates, click the Add button.
- Start to type the name of the section in the new Assign to field. Search fields are dynamic, and you can search by any part of the section name.
- Click the section's name when it appears. Lists are not scrollable.
- You can include more than one section in the Assign to field as long as the sections are to be assigned the same due and availability dates.
If you are creating an assignment with multiple due dates, make sure that you create an additional due date option with 'Everyone else' selected. This will be the due date that we use for collusion checking.
- Select Save & publish to publish this assignment. Select Save to save the assignment.
As Canvas may not immediately notify Turnitin that an assignment has been created, we advise waiting 90 seconds between creating the assignment and making the first submission. This will allow Canvas to notify us that the assignment has been created.
If you continue to encounter an issue with the Similarity Report failing to generate, you can select Resubmit to Turnitin from SpeedGrader, which forces the Similarity Report to generate.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.