The entire configuration of Turnitin can be done without logging into Turnitin.com/Turnitinuk.com. Because the configuration happens within Blackboard, the 'LTI configuration light' won't show as activated on the Integration Configuration screen when you log in.
To register LTI 1.3 in Blackboard, first navigate to the Administrator Panel (Admin in the left menu).
A Blackboard environment will only support one integration and account/sub-account. If you need to configure multiple Turnitin sub-accounts, you will have to create a Blackboard environment for each one.
- In the integrations menu, select LTI Tool Providers.
- In the top menu, select Register LTI 1.3 Tool.
- Enter the client ID.
If you are in the UK: 39739bb5-c79e-437c-ab88-6b23b01dc095
If you are anywhere else: 907b10a5-fbbe-4811-adbf-8ac3a40a2b34
Are you configuring Turnitin using a Turnitin sandbox account for testing purposes? Use this Client ID instead: 52940019-cfc4-415b-bae3-bf478240ab6d (Note, this is only when using a Turnitin sandbox account. If you're using any other type of sandbox account, the normal client ID should be used.
- The ‘Tool Status’ section will be automatically populated. Please make sure that this is the LTI tool you want to register.
- For the ‘Tool Status’ setting, select Approved.
- In the Institution policies section, the options in the ‘User Fields to Send’ will all be set to blank by default. Select them all.
- Select Yes for both ‘Allow grade service access’ and ‘Allow Membership Service Access’.
- Select Submit.
- You will see a banner indicating your registration within Blackboard has been successful.
- Select Create Placements.
- In the Placement Information section, give your placement a label. This is what will show up in the course. Also assign the placement a handle. This will identify the placement.
- Please make sure Availability is set to Yes.
This is required in order to launch the Turnitin Tool and ensures that the LMS and Turnitin users are mapped properly.
Under the Type section, select Deep Linking content tool. This step may look different based on the version of Blackboard you are using.
Current versions of Blackboard:
Older versions of Blackboard:
- In the Tool Provider Information section, depending on your location enter the Tool Provider URL as:
- https://api.turnitinuk.com/api/lti/1p3/launch for the UK
- https://api.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p3/launch for the rest of the world
Are you configuring Turnitin using a Turnitin sandbox account for testing purposes? Use this as the Tool Provider URL instead: https://sandbox.turnitin.com/api/lti/1p3/launch (Note: this is only when using a Turnitin sandbox account. If you're using any other type of sandbox account, the normal client ID should be used.
- Select Submit.
Initialize the integration with Turnitin
To complete your registration you will need to initialize the integration with Turnitin. To do this, the account administrator will need to create a new assignment.
- Close the Administrator Panel and navigate to the courses area (Courses in the left panel).
- You will need to select a course where you are enrolled as an instructor and create a new assignment.
If you are not enrolled in any courses, you will need to be added to an existing course or create a new one.
- Select the Turnitin LTI tool from the Content Market area.
- This will launch Turnitin where you will need to fill in your administrator credentials and select Sign In.
- Select the account that is associated with the LTI 1.3 Tool integration registration and then select Next.
- The Account ID and name will be shown and you will be asked to confirm that this is the account you wish to register to LTI 1.3. Select Confirm and Complete to complete the registration.
This is a one time action that needs to be completed by the account administrator in order to allow instructors to use LTI 1.3.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.