Migrating from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3
Known issues with Blackboard LTI 1.1
We are aware of a scope of issues with the Blackboard LTI 1.1 integration. We are working on resolving all these issues, but please be aware of the following:
- Turnitin due dates are not displayed in Blackboard
- Grades entered in Turnitin immediately appear in the Blackboard grade book
- Grades removed from Turnitin are not updated in the Blackboard grade book
- Dates are not passed to Turnitin if they are updated in Blackboard
- The instructor cannot see in Blackboard whether a student has submitted or not
- Some settings not available in the initial assignment settings page requiring instructors to edit the assignment settings after launch to add rubrics, PeerMark, and e-rater
- Description field and max points value set in Turnitin are not populated in Blackboard
Course copy functionality is not currently supported with Blackboard LTI
When migrating from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3, new grades added to existing submissions on an assignment originally created on LTI 1.1 will not pass back to the Blackboard gradebook. If new submissions are made after the migration, grades for these will pass back to the gradebook.
To migrate from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3 in Blackboard, first navigate to the Administrator Panel (Admin in the left menu).
- In the integrations menu, select LTI Tool Providers.
- In the top menu, select Register LTI 1.3 Tool.
- Enter the client ID.
If you are in the UK: 39739bb5-c79e-437c-ab88-6b23b01dc095
If you are anywhere else: 907b10a5-fbbe-4811-adbf-8ac3a40a2b34
- Your browser will display a message asking you to confirm your decision to migrate to LTI 1.3.
- The ‘Tool Status’ section will be automatically populated. Please make sure that this is the LTI tool you want to migrate.
- For the ‘Tool Status’ setting, select Approved.
- Select Submit to migrate the tool from LTI 1.1 to LTI 1.3.
- You will see a banner indicating your migration within Blackboard has been successful.
Initialize the integration with Turnitin
To complete your migration you will need to initialize the integration with Turnitin. To do this, the account administrator will need to create a new assignment.
- Close the Administrator Panel and navigate to the courses area (Courses in the left panel).
- You will need to select a course where you are enrolled as an instructor and create a new assignment.
If you are not enrolled in any courses, you will need to be added to an existing course or create a new one.
- If using Original view:
- Select the Turnitin LTI 1.3 tool from the Content Market area.
- If using Ultra view:
- Select the Turnitin LTI 1.3 tool from the Build Content area.
- This will launch Turnitin where you will need to fill in your Turnitin administrator credentials and select Sign In.
- Select the Turnitin account (or subaccount) that you would like to link with the tool, and then select Next.
- The Account ID and name will be shown and you will be asked to confirm that this is the account you wish to use for the LTI 1.3 integration. Select Confirm and Complete to complete the migration.
This is a one time action that needs to be completed by the account administrator in order to allow use of LTI 1.3.
Was this page helpful?
We're sorry to hear that
If you have the time, we'd love to know how we could improve it.